Tuesday, June 26, 2012

"Yesterday"


“It makes me mad when I think about it. I can still hear the pop of the head coming off. I probably shouldn’t have reacted the way I did but . . .” Peter trailed off. “It was my favorite toy.” Dr. Morrissey looked at his notes and continued writing. “It might have been different,” Peter continued, “if my Ninja Turtle had multiple heads but there was just that one. Stupid Tommy.” 
Dr. Morrissey inquired, “Have you talked to Tommy since yesterday?” 
“No” Peter answered, “but my mom wants me to go over to his house and apologize. It’s not my fault though. Tommy started it. Just because he’s too poor to buy toys.” Dr. Morrissey looked at his watch. “Well Peter, I think we’ve had a good session. I’d like to talk more about Tommy next week.“ Peter replied, “Okay Dr. Morrissey. See you next week.” Dr. Morrissey said goodbye as Peter walked out of the office and met his mother in the waiting room.

“How’s it going, Petey? Do you feel better now that you’ve had a chance to talk about it?” Peter nodded his head and held his mother’s hand as they walked off to the car. Once in the car, Peter’s mother asked if he was ready to go over to Tommy’s and apologize. “A black eye is something that should be apologized for,” she added, “even if the other person started it.” Peter fidgeted around in his seat as he and his mother shared a bit of silence as they drove. Peter’s mother reminded him that it’s all right to be angry but it’s not right to get into fights, even if the teachers do allow it. Peter just stared out the window and looked at the cars passing by. Peter’s mother began to start another sentence but stopped when she realized they were at Tommy’s house. Peter’s mother patted him on the back and said, “Now be polite and apologize. I know you can do it.” Peter’s mother paused, “On second thought, I’ll just come with you.”

Peter’s mother assured him that Tommy would probably be expecting him as she had called Tommy’s mother the night before and set this all up. Peter knocked on the door and was greeted by Tommy’s mother.
“Tommy can’t come to the door right now,” his mother explained, “but he wanted you to have this.” Tommy’s mother handed Peter a brand new Ninja Turtle toy, just like the one that was broken. Peter flashed a smile and told Tommy’s mother thank you. “Oh don’t thank me,” Tommy’s mother replied, “thank Tommy. He paid for it with his allowance.” Peter’s mother told Tommy’s mother that that was so sweet and thoughtful and that she hoped Tommy and Peter could both be friends when they got back to school. Farewell pleasantries were exchanged amongst the three and Peter and his mother walked back to the car, waving goodbye to Tommy’s mother as they went.

Once in the car, Peter’s mother turned and told him that Tommy wasn’t such a bad guy and that it’s very responsible for a boy his age to replace an action figure with his own allowance money. Peter seemed not to care, he was just happy to have his Ninja Turtle, head and all. As he played with his new/old toy, Peter found a note in the Turtle’s knapsack. “This must be a note from Tommy.” Peter said. Peter’s mom encouraged him to read it out loud. “Alright“, Peter started, “It says, ‘you suck.” Peter and his mother both looked at each other with surprise. “My mom made me buy your stupid turtle with my money. And you better not tell anybody at school about this cause if you do I’m going to pop your head off and give your turtle the black eye. Loser.” “Well,” Peter’s mom replied, “I guess not everyone is what they seem.” “Nope,” said Peter, as he began composing his own letter of response. “ And besides, he spelled loser wrong.” Peter and his mother laughed as they thought about Tommy’s poor spelling skills. “It sounds like Tommy has a problem with anger,” said Peter‘s Mom. “Yah,” Peter replied, “I feel better about myself already.” As he said this the head of Peter‘s Ninja Turtle inexplicably fell off.


No comments:

Post a Comment