Monday, July 16, 2012

What would I write if I wasn't afraid?

This year I began asking myself, what would I write if I wasn't afraid? I would like to begin writing more about what it means for me to a Buddhist and what it means for me to not be a Christian. One fear of mine is that people will leave once they know who I am. I've kept my Buddhism hidden for the most part for the last three years because of how certain people acted and how I imagined other people would act. I don't think this is fair to me or to people who want to know who I am. I would like to begin practicing being more honest and open and being less all right with simply passing. And sure, I'm still probably not going to bring up my Buddhism during family get togethers but by writing about this on my blog I'm giving myself an opportunity to process my experience and give others a chance to relate to my experience as well. I'd rather people relate to me as a person than as a Buddhist but it's through my being a Buddhist that I've experienced the greatest sense of being 'other', of being misunderstood, and it's the experience that I'm looking forward to writing through and processing.

No comments:

Post a Comment